Friday, April 29, 2011

Becoming a Shepherd for God

“The LORD had said to Abram, ‘Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.’” –Genesis 12:1
                  
            The Lord has called us all to do great, but different things. Some He has called to be doctors, lawyers, trash collectors, and even soldiers. In Genesis, Abram (later called Abraham) was called to leave his country and go to a land that God showed him.

            When I came to West Point two years ago and prep school before that I felt called by God to be a soldier. I came to serve my country and my God. But to be honest with everyone I have always doubted if I was doing the right thing. In high school, I served in both middle school ministries and with 2nd and 3rd grade kids. Serving the youth is what makes my heart beat fast. I get excited the days I am able to do this. But should I do this full time? Should I serve in youth ministries full time? This is a choice I have talked to many people about. I have sought advice from wise council and prayed a lot about it. I feel like God wants me to do both. It seems I should serve in the military and work with youth. I do not know how that works but God does. And I continue to pray for his guidance.

            A few months ago I was sitting and thinking about this very thing. I was wrestling with God asking Him questions and seeking answers. Then I had a Genesis 12:1 moment. God told me to “Go!!”

“Go where Lord?” I asked.
“Go to Israel and leave behind your friends and family. I want you to spend a year focusing on me.”

This hit me like a bunch of bricks. God wants me to leave? I did not know what to do. Do I leave? How do I get there? What will people think? But God began to open doors.  There is a website called www.helpx.net. This website operates so people that own farms, homestays, ranches, and hostels can find help when they need it. The people that ask for help are from all over the world. I contacted Nissim and Maeggie Amireiyosi who own the Amireiyosi farm in the Northern Negev region of Israel. Their farm is a sheepherding farm and they also need help fixing up their barn. I contacted them and I am in the process of getting everything finalized. So in essence I will be a shepherd. How cool is that? King David did it and so can I.

            But then there is the obstacle of West Point. Will West Point let me leave and if so can I
come back? The answer to both questions is a big yes! West Point will let me leave for a year to do mission work, but the process is not without risk. I will first do my summer training with West Point, but during the first week of school I will resign from West Point. This is where the risk comes in. By resigning I take my name out of West Point and I have to reapply to get back in. There is a chance I will not get back in, but God calls us to live by faith not necessarily by sight.

So if you will please continue to pray for me and for my decision. I know this is God’s will for my life I have prayed a lot about it and God continues to open up doors. I feel so strongly about it that if I do not go I think it will be a Jonah moment: God will send something down the Hudson River to West Point and eat me then bring me to Israel. Our God is faithful and trustworthy. I cannot wait to spend a year solely devoted to him.

            There will be a more formal letter to follow to raise money. I will be raising money for this mission trip and keep everyone I can up to date on what is happening. But right now I just need prayers. Thank you everyone.

1 comment:

  1. This is soo cool! I don't know that I've met anyone so willing and eager to follow God's call. It's such a blessing to see your life play out. You're gonna do huge things in the kingdom of God. I can feel it! You rock!

    Megan Stevens

    ReplyDelete